A documentary film by Errol Morris, interviewing Robert McNamara.
This is an incredible film, truly remarkable in its complexity. Here are Mr. McNamara’s 11 lessons on the nature of war:
- Empathize with your enemy.
- Rationality will not save us.
- There’s something beyond one’s self.
- Maximize efficiency.
- Proportionality should be a guideline of war.
- Get the data.
- Belief and seeing are both often wrong.
- Be prepared to reexamine your reasoning.
- In order to do good, you may have to engage in evil.
- Never say never.
- You can’t change human nature.