Day 6: early firmware testing

This post is part of the GaSiProMo challenge.   You can read more about this here.

Things are progressing nicely.  I have the display fully wired now to the Mega.  It’s a spaghetti mess, but it’ll work.
I have the serial port on the Arduino working nicely for debug.  I also did a fair amount of thinking with regards to data and address packetizing.  It quickly became apparent that doing a bunch of digitalWrite calls for all this pins (8 data, 5 address, per character of the display) would be a nightmare.

Here is the character map for the display.

ipd2131 ASCII chart
encoded character map

So I came up with a character array method to do this.  I tested tonight with the serial port debugger to verify correct character parsing.

So far so good.

Leave a Reply