I write to you tonight from Rome.
I figure if James Bond can do it, so can I. Travel, that is, not kill people.
Here is what I’ve learned so far in Italy:
- The people are expressive, lots of hand motions.
- The cars are extremely small, like 20% smaller than the Mini.
- The men are not afraid of touching each other — arms, back of neck, chest — to make their emphatic point.
- Yet most men are homophobes (I’ve heard more Italian gay jokes and euphemisms in the last two days than straight jokes).
- There is much, how do you say?, wonderful strong coffee in Italy. Momma Mia!
- I can now count to 10 in Italiano 1!:
- Italian pizza is boring.
- Italian pasta is perfecto!
- Italian phones look like they came from the future — the version from Back to the Future 2.
As cool as all this is, I can’t wait to get back to the States tomorrow!
- for pronunciations, see here